Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What are the risks and benefits of using ammonia to sanitize beef?

BEFORE READING:
Q: How would you feel if you had to pay an extra fifty cents for your school lunch? How much would that add up to over a school year?
A: I would be mad if i had to pay another 50 cents because school lunch isnt all that yummy and sometimes it be making you sick. It might add up to more then i could afford.


Q: Statement: I don't care what goes in my burger as long as it's cheap, tastes good and doesn't make me sick. Do you agree or disagree, and why? 
A: I do not agree with that because i have to make sure my food is fresh and clean. I have no idea if mcds does food irradiation but there food is really good. I really do hope they clean there meat or make sure its fresh. 


DURING THE READING :
Q: Why did Beef Products, Inc. begin treating beef with ammonia?
A: Because ammonia process would kill E.coli as well as salmonella in the fat trimmings.
Q: What happens to a batch of beef that is found to be contaminated with E. coli or Salmonella? What about if the beef is ammonia-treated?
A: The meat was caught before reaching the lunchroom trays. If the hamburgers still have E.coli or salmonella  the meat is sent through pipes where it is exposed to anmonia gas,and then flah frozen and compressed - all steps that help kill pathogens, company research found.
Q: How might the ammonia treatment process fail to kill microbes?
A:   

No comments:

Post a Comment